Dear Today’s Moron,
I don’t know your name. I’m glad I don’t. Because our paths crossed for only a moment today, a scant 30 seconds or so, I barely even got a look at your face. I was too busy soaking up the horror of what I was seeing.
You may not have seen me. I was standing at a street corner near my home, waiting to cross. You were approaching in your car, from that little street that leads into the public housing. You know, where everyone just heaves their garbage randomly into the street, and there are many, many cats.
You stopped at the stop sign, but I could see you weren’t going to let me cross, so I waited until you turned right. As you did, I could see into your Ford Tempo. And this is what I saw:
- Two children, under age 5, were kneeling on the back seat. No car seats, no seat belts.
- They were eating Happy Meals.
- A pit bull of some kind, no muzzle (as required by Ontario law) was in the passenger seat.
- Loud dance-club music was pumping from the stereo.
- And you, Supermom. You were smoking a cigarette AND talking on your pink cellphone. While driving.
This was the most appalling piece of bad parenting I’ve seen in a long time. I was so mad — I hate seeing that kind of thing. Kids don’t deserve that. Sadly, though, this behaviour is learned; it’s a chain and a cycle that will just keep right on perpetuating.
It’s not just that so many laws were broken (no seatbelts, no child safety seats, no muzzle on the dog … also, in Ontario, it’s illegal to smoke in vehicles with children and to talk on a cellphone while driving). It’s that moral rules were broken, too.
I hope you smarten up.