10 Things to Note in the New Star Trek TrailerNovember 18, 2008
1. Does Kirk’s motorcycle have wheels? It’s hard to spot in this trailer. The motorcycle cop earlier on was hovering. Meanwhile, that ship looks like it’s being built, not refitted. And I don’t know if you could tell, but those large cloud-like formations in the background just before this shot are actually massive skyscraper cities. Nothing says “future Iowa” more than, uh, giant skyscraper cities.
2. There’s Winona! This is a quick shot of the Sarek family fleeing whatever is happening on Vulcan. Winona looks very motherly, in a Winona kind of way. Did you know I’ve always had a bit of a thing for Winona Rider? And now she’s Spock’s mom. This might create issues for me later on.
3. I was right the other day — this is the new transporter effect. It’s very cool, and I like it.
4. Zachary Quinto looks a lot more like Leonard Nimoy in profile than he does face-on. And doesn’t that landscape look familiar, TOS fans?
5. The bridge is, so far, the biggest deviation, and the one I’m having the most difficulty with. It’s just too radically different, too glittery, too new. Meanwhile, I’m sure J.J. will explain why Chekov is on board.
6. Bruce Greenwood is Captain Christopher Pike. Bruce Greenwood also once played JFK. JFK played Enterprise Captain Jake Logan in Tribbles writer David Gerrold’s The Kennedy Enterprise, a story in the book Alternate Kennedys, edited by Mike Resnick. That’s quite the coincidence. Meanwhile, it looks like Kirk is at the science station behind him, but on this bridge that could be anything. He might just be making Hot Pockets.
7. I don’t care if he’s not spot-on. He’s Simon Pegg. He’ll rock the engineering department. Notice how he’s kind of grimy? There’s a reason for that, and if you’ve read any spoilers, you’ll know. I think it’s a great way to add Scotty to the crew. Also, note the Rand-esque hair basket on the officer in the background.
8. My favourite moment in the trailer is McCoy’s fucked-up little monologue here. I really like Karl Urban, and I’m a big McCoy fan, so this casting was good news for me. Strangely, every time I mention Karl Urban here at the Weather Station, I get all kinds of crazy incoming links from fan sites devoted to Sean Bean and the guy who played Le Chiffre. I don’t get it.
9. Ah! Big monster on ice planet. J.J. Abrams is a Star Wars fan, and here’s where he proves it. Maybe this is where Kirk got the scratches on his face we see in other parts of the trailer …
10. At first, I thought this was Kirk and Uhura. But it’s an Orion. And it turns out Chris Pine, caught here mid-boobie-kiss, does a pretty good Kirk after all, at least in the lovin-up-the-ladies department. Note the decor in the background: at least the quarters are closer to the TOS staterooms than the bridge.
11. After all the protestations that Kirk’s black uniform was “a captain’s uniform,” and all the theory that it’s some kind of cadet’s shirt, here we see Chris Pine in command gold. It’s hard to tell from this blurry shot, but it looks to me like he’s wearing three gold braids on his sleeve … denoting the captaincy. How much you wanna bet this is the final scene in the film? “Buckle up!”
Yeah, that was 11. I got carried away. I’m sure I’ll have more to say later. This is only 10 screenshots, eh? There are hundreds more. I may never sleep again.
What did I think of the trailer at first? Click here. And you can type Star Trek in the search box to the right there if you want to read more of my crap.